Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Have you seen this blog?

If you haven't, you surely need to. The Vegan Lunchbox is amazing. I cannot believe the things she packs for her son every day for school. And the amazing part? He EATS it. He DEVOURS it. Incredible. When I look at her blog, I think that I must be doing something wrong. I'm not talking about Veganism or Vegetarianism, I'm talking about the variety of foods her son will happily eat. And about the creative way she packs his lunch every day. I no longer pack a lunch for Abigail, she desperately wanted hot lunch, so she gets that now, but I can certainly try some new things on the weekends, and for dinner in general. Last night was a step I think. I don't think Abigail would have even wanted to taste the salisbury steaks last night if she hadn't helped make them, and she ate a lot!

I have this feeling that with her diet I need to strike now while the iron is hot. All the discussion at school over the last week about healthy eating and teeth really does have her paying attention to what she eats. Usually after school she has a healthy snack. And after her healthy snack she may have a small treat (usually a granola bar or fruit snacks). But yesterday she had her healthy snack (veggies and dip) and then asked for yogurt with graham cracker sticks for dipping. That request was accompanied by "Is it a healthy snack?" Wow. So while her awareness of healthy foods is at a hightened level, I am going to sweep in and change some things up on her. She's been eating waffles for breakfast. I am not complaining about the frozen waffle. She is not a big breakfast person, and if she will down two Eggo's before going to school, I at least know she is not sitting in class starving. But what I can change is the syrup on top. Tomorrow I am going to offer her applesauce as a topping, or some frozen berries pureed. We'll see what she chooses.

And tonights dinner of crockpot chicken stew has also changed I'm afraid. I know she won't eat that. So I am going to come up with something different. All I know for sure is that it will involve sweet potatoes of some kind. And since accoridng to Andy I have nothing better to do, I can surely spend my days dreaming up things for my children to eat. Because Zander loves doing what his sister does. And if she will eat that pile of brown rice on her plate, it must be good, so he will eat it too.

And with that, I will sign off and go eat my daily dose of bon-bons, because that is, after all, what stay-at-home moms do all day. ;-) I will be back later with a dinner report if I get a chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch out for those bon-bons, they show up on your hips when you aren't looking! Tee-hee! All those years as a stay-at-home mom - there's nothing better! Maybe if you just tell Abigail that your suppers are "healty foods" she'll be more open to them. Just a thought. Love you!