Thursday, August 30, 2007

Inexpensive Chicken Thighs

Chicken thighs are one of those things that I never used to purchase. When I bought chicken it was in one of three ways. It was either whole, whole and cut up or it was chicken breasts. On a very rare occasion we would pick up a package of wings, but never, ever just a package of thighs. And why the heck not I now know to ask! Thighs are full of flavor and they are economical to boot. One package of eight chicken thighs runs about three dollars- and eight thighs are plenty for my family for dinner. I had picked up some thighs this week to make Indian food, but after all the Mexican for a few days, I wasn't so much in the mood for Indian cuisine. So what to do with chicken thighs...

I stumbled upon something that I had never had before. Deviled chicken sounded pretty good to me. Essentially, skin on chicken is dipped in a mustard sauce and then breadcrumbs before baking. Not only did it sound good, it was perfect! It was easy to assemble, fairly quick as far as chicken goes, and it uses pantry ingredients. All I needed was some mashed potatoes and a vegetable and dinner was done. After looking over several recipes, I decided to create my own mustard and crumb coatings, and I think it turned out all right. My original venture was a touch on the salty side for me, so I've adjusted the recipe to reflect that. If you like things salty, you may want to up the salt to 1/2 teaspoon. I used a straight up Dijon mustard, but I think the next time I will use a grainy mustard or Creole mustard if I can ever find it again around here. Play with the recipe if you'd like, but no matter what, these Deviled Chicken Thighs are a keeper and will definitely be repeated here.
Deviled Chicken Thighs

1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed

Preheat oven to 475ºF. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

In a shallow bowl, combine mustard and Worcestershire sauce. In a second bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cornflakes, parsley, salt and pepper.

Using a pastry brush, brush the mustard mixture all over the chicken thighs. Dredge in crumb mixture to coat and place on the baking sheet. Pop the sheet in the oven and bake at 475 for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs with a tongs and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the juices run clear.

Serves 4.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I have been converted to thighs as well - especially since you can buy them boneless/skinless just like breasts. Not only are they cheaper, but have a lot more flavor than breasts, and the fat and calorie content is not that much higher.

Anonymous said...

if it's a certain mustard you're looking for, I'm sure Woodman's would have it....

Erika W. said...

Deborah they have so much more flavor don't they! I agree- the boneless skinless variety are great.

Andy would you believe Woodman's doesn't have it!? It's Luzianne Creole mustard, and they stopped carrying it about a year ago. I check the shelf everytime I'm there, just in case. It's the best mustard- a grainy dijon with extra flavor.